THREE CROWS MAGAZINE IS OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS
We at Three Crows want your stories of dark and weird fantasy, horror, and sci-fi, with complex characters making morally ambiguous decisions.
We are looking for sci-fi as hard as Liu Cixin and Peter Watts and wonderfully poetic as Arkady Martine; fantasy and magical realism in the vein of Andrzej Sapkowski, Naomi Novik, and Marlon James; we want horror and new weird stories that would challenge our preconceived notions and perception of reality like Mark Z. Danielewski, Thomas Ligotti, and China Mieville.
To truly understand what we are looking for read what we have published so far – HERE.
Take us on an adventure and make it weird.
All submitted works must be:
- previously unpublished fantasy, sci-fi, weird, or horror stories from 1000 to 10,000 words (no queries regarding stories above or below the limit). Longer works will be serialized and paid for each appearance in the issues.
- In English, Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, and German – we do translations.
- In a non-exhausted setting
- Slavic folklore and setting are a significant plus, but not necessary for success
- of the highest possible quality (well-written in sense of both drama and grammar)
- must be submitted as a .doc, .docx, and/or .pdf file in READABLE FORMATTING (or with proper explanation of why it is formatted one way or the other) Standard Manuscript Format is a guideline, but not a rule.
ALL SUBMISSION SHOULD BE SENT TO:
SUBMISSIONS (at) THREECROWSMAGAZINE dot COM
Stories submitted to any other email address or not following the guidelines will be disregarded without notice.
What we don’t want:
- Stories lacking class consciousness
- Retellings of Christo-Judean or any other religious mythology ‘with a twist’;
- Stories based around racial slurs;
- Stories based on your DnD, Pathfinder, and etc. adventures;
- Stories where rape/abuse is the sole character development tool;
- Slow zombies;
- Revenge fantasies;
- Rape fantasies;
No multiple submissions. No simultaneous submissions.
Add your cover letter (address it to Alex, Olivia, or Dear Editors) in the body of the email:
- Story Title.
- Word count.
- A 1-2 sentence summary of the story.
- A list of works published in any other paid markets (no self-published works or vanity markets).
- A 1-2 sentence about yourself for the bio.
FAILING TO MEET ANY OF THE AFOREMENTIONED CRITERIA IS AN AUTOMATIC REJECTION
It usually takes up to 14 days to respond to the ever-growing volume of submissions. After 14 days – feel free to query on the status of your submissions to any of the emails below:
Please, don’t submit another story for a period of 30 days after receiving a rejection. Don’t re-submit stories that have been rejected. Do not query for permission.
We pay 0.01$/word (USD) via paypal.
We are buying first world-exclusive serial and electronic rights, translation rights, non-exclusive world anthology and audio rights, from the date the contract is signed and paid for up until 1 year (12 months) after the publication date.
After 1 year (12 months), we’ll retain non-exclusive distribution rights.