THREE CROWS MAGAZINE IS OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS
We at Three Crows want your stories set in dark, weird, and gritty fantasy, horror, and sci-fi setting, with complex characters making morally ambiguous decisions. Think of a lovechild of Andrzej Sapkowski, Naomi Novik, Joe Abercombie, George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, and China Mieville. Take us on an adventure and make it weird.
All submitted works must be:
- previously unpublished fantasy, sci-fi, weird, or horror stories from 1000 to 4,000 words (no queries regarding stories above or below the limit)
- In English, Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, and German.
- in a non-exhausted setting
- Slavic folklore and setting are a significant plus, but not necessary for success
- of the highest possible quality (well-written in sense of both drama and grammar)
- must be submitted in Standard Manuscript Format (no formatting = no consideration)
- submitted electronically in .doc or .docx format (no stories in the body of the email)
What we don’t want:
- Retellings of Christo-Judean or any other religious mythology ‘with a twist’;
- Stories based around racial slurs;
- Stories based on your DnD, Pathfinder, and etc. adventures;
- Stories where rape/abuse is the sole character development tool;
- Slow zombies;
- Demonization of any current political party or political system;
- Retellings of ‘Omen’ series;
- Revenge fantasies;
- stories with pictures;
No multiple submissions.
We accept submission only through the SUBMISSION FORM that you can find below.
We no longer consider email submissions. Be advised.
Add your cover letter (address it to Alex, Olivia, or Dear Editors) at the end of the story and tell us the following:
- Story Title.
- Word count.
- A 1-2 sentence summary of the story.
- A list of works published in any other paid markets (no self-published works or vanity markets).
- A 1-2 sentence about yourself for the bio.
FAILING TO MEET ANY OF THE AFOREMENTIONED CRITERIA IS AN AUTOMATIC REJECTION
It usually takes up to 60 days to respond to the evergrowing volume of submissions. After 60 days – feel free to query on the status of your submissions.
We pay $25 (USD) per story.
We are buying first world-exclusive serial and electronic rights, Ukrainian and Russian translation rights, non-exclusive world anthology and audio rights, from the date the contract is signed and paid for up until 1 year (12 months) after the publication date.
After 1 year (12 months), we’ll retain non-exclusive distribution rights.