24.02.2019 - THREE CROWS MAGAZINE IS OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS
We at Three Crows want your stories set in dark, weird, and gritty fantasy, horror, and sci-fi setting, with complex characters making morally ambiguous decisions. Think of a lovechild of Andjei Sapkowski, Naomi Novik, Joe Abercombie, Geroge R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, and China Mieville. Take us on an adventure and make it weird.
All submitted works must be:
- previously unpublished fantasy, sci-fi, weird, or horror stories from 1000 to 4,000 words (no queries regarding stories above or below the limit)
- In English, Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, and German.
- in a non-exhausted setting
- Slavic folklore and setting are a significant plus, but not necessary for success
- of the highest possible quality (well-written in sense of both drama and grammar)
- must be submitted in Standard Manuscript Format (no formatting = no consideration)
- submitted electronically in .doc or .docx format (no stories in the body of the email)
What we don't want:
- Retellings of Christo-Judean or any other religious mythology 'with a twist';
- Stories based around racial slurs;
- Stories based on your DnD, Pathfinder, and etc. adventures;
- Stories where rape/abuse is the sole character development tool;
- Slow zombies;
- Demonization of any current political party or political system;
- Retellings of 'Omen' series;
- Revenge fantasies;
- stories with pictures;
No multiple submissions until the next submission cycle. Send your work to editor (at) threecrowsmagazine (dot) com with the following in the subject line:
Short Fiction Submission: <Story Title>
In the body of the email (address it to Alex or Dear Editors), tell us the following:
- Story Title.
- Word count.
- A 1-2 sentence summary of the story.
- A list of works published in any other paid markets (no self-published works or vanity markets).
- A 1-2 sentence about yourself for the bio.
FAILING TO MEET ANY OF THE AFOREMENTIONED CRITERIA IS AN AUTOMATIC REJECTION
We pay $25 (USD) per story.
We are buying first world-exclusive serial and electronic rights, Ukrainian and Russian translation rights, non-exclusive world anthology and audio rights, from the date the contract is signed and paid for up until 1 year (12 months) after the publication date.
After 1 year (12 months), we’ll retain non-exclusive distribution rights.